Apartment Fire, 5200 Block of Hwy 277

Apartment Fire, 5200 Block of Hwy 277

Abilene, TX --It was a cigarette that caused the fire at the Mill Creek Apartments. 

According to the Abilene Fire Department, the cigarette came from the second floor apartment.  The fire was accidental.  The Fire Department said because it was not intentional, they will not be pursuing any legal action.

The Abilene Fire Department responded to a structure fire at the Mill Creek Apartments just after 1:30 this afternoon.  Fire crews arrived within minutes and found heavy smoke pouring out of the roof.

The ground floor apartment was heavily damaged while the upstairs apartment and laundry room had some damage, as well.  Investigators believe the fire started on the patio of the ground floor apartment, but the investigation is on-going. 

"The wind was really a factor in the spread of the fire," said Battalion Chief Russell Pope. "Fortunately the way the building is structured with the wind, it blew it into the laundry room and not so much into the rest of the building, so we were fortunate there."

"We were able to make an aggressive, early attack, cut off the fire from getting into the rest of the structure, and save the rest of the six apartments in this building."

The fire was contained in about 30 minutes and no injuries were reported.  Total loss is estimated at 100-thousand dollars.  In total, 11 pieces of equipment responded to the scene. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KIDY. All Rights Reserved.
Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.