CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Top Gun: Maverick released in theaters in May and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive.
But, did you know that Maverick's F-14 Tomcat jet featured in the original movie is on display right here in Corpus Christi? It is on board USS Lexington, to be more specific.
Steve Banta with USS Lexington said this specific jet was the most featured jet in the movie and has been painted to match the markings in the film- with Lt. Mitchell's name and callsign.
"We have been told by some guests that they came out of their way just to go a see the way that aircraft is painted," Banta said.
In the movie, the jet was equipped as a camera ship and shot many of the dramatic air-to-air footage.
Banta said two years ago they conducted a restoration of the jet and decided to get help from the public.
"People got to vote on what squadron markings would go on the aircraft. The vast majority of people voted to make it look like the movie did in 1986," Banta said.
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida.
Original Top Gun jet is on display at USS Lexington
Banta said after the original movie was released, recruitment for the Navy skyrocketed.
"Top Gun: Maverick" is rated PG-13 and was released in theaters May 27 of this year.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- As pain at the pump continues, the U.S. is exporting as much oil as it’s importing
- Receive a call about owing money for missing jury duty in Nueces County? It's a scam, officials say
- 4 suspects identified in Agua Dulce ISD break-in, arrests set to come
- What is Corpus Christi's Drought Contingency Plan?
- Coastal Bend foster children's artwork displayed at Funtrackers
- Man arrested on capital murder charges after two women found dead in Corpus Christi apartment
- Kingsville toddler orders 30+ cheeseburgers while mom isn't looking
- Nueces County criminal backlog: Cases outpacing resources to prosecute
- Corpus Christi's 'superhero' neighborhood getting online recognition
- Here's is everything you need to know to vote early in the May 24 primary runoff election
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.