AUSTIN, Texas — Hoping to impress your guests this holiday season? KVUE's got you covered. Here's how to make moist and flavorful turkey that your family and friends will talk about for days.
- Whole turkey (I prefer 11- to 14-pound turkeys)
- Cajun butter (which can be created with melted butter and Cajun seasoning, or purchased)
- Favorite poultry rub
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Thaw turkey in the refrigerator (usually takes about one day per four pounds).
- Create a brine by bringing 3/4 cup salt, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons peppercorns, 1 tablespoon thyme and 1-2 bay leaves to a boil in water.
- Bring the brine down to room temperature by adding more water and/or ice, in a container large enough to submerge the turkey in the brine.
- Let the turkey sit in the brine overnight (8-18 hours), then rinse it off.
- Inject the breasts evenly with Cajun butter.
- Season generously with your favorite poultry rub.
- Place the turkey on a tray and smoke between 180F-200F for three hours, basting with butter every hour.
- Raise grill temperature to 350F until the internal temperature of the breasts reads 165F.
- Allow the turkey to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving and eating.
Share your results:
Take pictures or videos of your food, and send them my way on Instagram (@Gameday_Grilling).