BEAUMONT, Texas — A Beaumont daycare is paying $2 million to the family of an infant after she was severely burned under their watch.
The accident happened in October 2017 when a toddler knocked over a Crockpot used as a baby bottle warmer, spilling it onto an 8-month-old baby girl. She suffered second and third degree burns over 14 percent of her body, Provost Umphrey Law Firm said in a press release.
Provost Umphrey Law Firm represented the family in the negligence claim.
“These parents received the worst news of their lives when they learned their child had been severely burned and was being rushed to the emergency room,” Provost Umphrey lawyer Bryan Blevins said in the news release. “It’s a call no parent should get when they entrust their child to a licensed and regulated day care.
"We can’t turn back the clock, but we are glad to have helped them obtain the resources necessary to meet their child’s medical, physical and emotional needs for the rest of her life.”
The law firm declined to name the daycare, however, 12News files show that in October 2017 an 8-month-old infant received first and second degree burns from a bottle warmer at the Anchor Early Learning Center at 6655 Highway 105.
The daycare agreed to resolve the case within the $2 million limit of its insurance coverage, Provost Umphrey said.
The daycare employees did go with the infant to the emergency room after the accident and made changes o make their center safer since the accident, according to the release.
"The day care has since taken action to make their infant care area safer and has agreed to resolve the matter without putting the family through the further trauma of litigation," Blevins said.
Provost Umphrey Law Firm has been operating for 50 years with a mission to seek justice for people in need, according to the release. They have offices in Beaumont, Houston and Nashville.