SAN ANTONIO — Bexar County's crisis of domestic violence reared its head once again on April 10, when police say the ex-husband of a San Antonio woman confronted her at a north-side home and attacked her and two young children, one of them fatally.
Here is the latest we know about the victims' relationship to the suspect, their conditions and what comes next.
What happened on April 10?
San Antonio police officers responded to a home along the 500 block of Robinhood, north of Alamo Heights, around 7 p.m.
According to SAPD Chief William McManus, officers arrived to find a woman on the sidewalk, shot in the neck and lower torso. She was taken to a local hospital along with an 11-month-old baby and a 2-year-old toddler.
The suspect was arrested that night less than two miles away, according to McManus. He classified what was believed to be just a shooting as a domestic violence incident.
On April 21, however, the Bexar County medical examiner said the youngest victim died from stab wounds, not gunshot wounds as police previously said she suffered.
Two other boys, ages 8 and 11, were able to escape by breaking windows.
Who are the victims?
A 28-year-old woman, Mariah Clare, was shot and taken to University Hospital after being transferred there from Brooke Army Medical Center. On April 18, the hospital told KENS 5 that she was released.
A 2-year-old girl, Rosalie Clare, suffered stab wounds and was released from the hospital on April 25, more than two weeks after the attack.
An 11-month-old baby girl, Willow Clare, died after being taken to a local hospital. Police initially said on the night of the attack that Willow was shot, but on April 21 the county medical examiner provided different information, saying after an autopsy that she died from stab wounds.
A public memorial service for Willow has been set for 10:30 a.m. on May 3 at St. David's Episcopal Church.
Who is the suspect?
Stephen Clare, 50, was arrested on the night of the incident. He has been employed as an nurse practitioner at the Emergency Clinic Alamo Heights.
Court records indicate he and the 28-year-old victim he allegedly attacked divorced last year, having stopped living together in January of 2022.
What comes next for Clare?
Clare has been charged with capital murder of a child under the age of 10, along with two counts of aggravated assault and two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon/serious bodily injury against a family member. Clare faces a prison sentence of five to 99 years if he is convicted.
His bond previously set at $3.5 million, Clare will instead remain jailed until trial after a judge on May 22 approved the county district attorney's request to deny him bail. Clare has requested that his bond be reduced before the judge announced his decision.
"They recognize the heinous nature of his alleged crime and underscore our commitment to justice," DA Joe Gonzales said in a statement after the ruling. "The Bexar County district attorney’s office will continue to put maximum effort into keeping our community safe and working on behalf of crime victims to ensure that those who commit crimes are held accountable under the law.”
A pre-hearing has been set for May 30.