Breaking News
More () »

Kelley sentenced to 25 years without parole

A former Leander High School football player convicted of sexual assault was sentenced to 25 years in prison without parole on Wednesday afternoon.
Gregory Kelley receives the news that a jury found him guilty on two counts of super aggravated sexual assault.

GEORGETOWN, Texas -- A former Leander High School football player convicted of sexual assault was sentenced to 25 years in prison without parole on Wednesday afternoon.

Greg Kelley will serve two 25-year sentences concurrently with no possibility of parole and no right to appeal. He will also be required to register as a sex offender, Kelley's attorneys negotiated in a plea deal on Wednesday.

His family and friends sobbed in the courtroom. They still don't believe he could have molested a four year old boy twice.

"Do I believe in justice? Yes I do. Do justice been served here? No," said his mother, Rosa Kelley outside the courtroom.

Rosa spoke to his supporters after the sentencing, still proclaiming her son's innocence.

She says he accepted the deal to avoid a lifetime in prison.

"He says 'I can go in for 25 years. I can still have opportunity to do something for myself.' And he will do it. No matter where he is in 25 years he will do it as Gregory Kelley he will do it," she said.

"To try a case with two four-year-old victims is difficult. But I think this case is proof that they can be won. They are difficult to try but they can be won and they're worth trying," said prosecutor Geoffrey Puryear.

Although Kelley got the least sentence for the charges, Puryear says they are happy with the outcome.

"I think this case brings to light an ugly issue and that's that sexual abuse of children as young as four-years-old exists in our society and it's important to know we stand behind crime victims. Specifically very young sexual abuse victims. This really gave them a voice," he said.

Tuesday night, a jury found Kelley guilty on two counts of super aggravated sexual assault for sexual contact with a 4-year-old boy at the in-home daycare where he lived.

Loud sobs from Kelley's family and friends could be heard in the courtroom as the verdict was read on Tuesday. His family and girlfriend had the opportunity to see him in the courtroom next door before he was taken into custody.

The jury began deliberating just after 11 a.m. Tuesday. More than 12 hours later, the jury told the judge they were split 9/3 on a verdict and would like guidance. The judge gave them the option of staying to deliberate or returning in the morning. If they choose to leave, they would be sequestered. The jury continued their deliberations.

The jury returned with several questions for the judge right before the verdict was reached, namely questions regarding testimony from the first victim and his mother. The judge read them portions of the testimony related to the initial outcry made by the boy.

The jury reached their verdict around 11:30 p.m.

Outside the courtroom, Kelley's family and friends stood with him in prayer during deliberations. They have filled the courtroom all week wearing blue and red ribbons in support of the ex-high school football star.

Kelley faced one charge of indecency with a child and two charges of super aggravated sexual assault. The judge threw one other charge out, citing a lack of evidence. Kelley was found not guilty of indecency with a child, but he was found guilty on both counts of super aggravated sexual assault. It's "super" because the boy is under the age of six.

Before You Leave, Check This Out