Breaking News
More () »

Texas Attorney General investigates Lubbock shooting death

Chad Read, 54, was shot and killed by William "Kyle" Carruth, according to Lubbock media outlets, after Read went to Carruth's home to pick up his children.

AUSTIN, Texas — The Attorney General of Texas has received repeated inquires as to a criminal investigation of a shooting death referred from Lubbock County. This shooting has received nationwide media coverage.

The office of Ken Paxton said in a press release, "Our office has begun a criminal investigation into this shooting. During the pendency of any criminal investigation conducted by our office, we do not comment on the case to protect the integrity of the investigation. Accordingly, we will not be commenting on the facts of this case."

"All criminal cases, including this case, must go through the steps of gathering evidence, reviewing evidence, interviewing witnesses, and other actions."

The Nov. 5 shooting has received national attention. Videos and statements from the victim's widow, as well as the shooter's attorney, have been issued. 

A Nov. 16 press release from the Lubbock Police Department said it transferred the case files for 21-43709 to the Texas Attorney General’s Office to begin its review, following an early November shooting that left one person dead. 

Lubbock Police officers were called to the 2100 block of 90th Street at approximately 4:20 p.m. Friday, Nov. 5 for reports of shots fired. 

Officers found Read dead at the scene. 

Through the initial course of the investigation, the release said, it appears there was a verbal altercation between Read and another male, who was not identified, related to a domestic incident that turned physical. Shortly after, shots were fired. 

An investigation was initiated by the Metropolitan Special Crimes Unit by 4:45 p.m. Friday, Nov. 5, the release said. METRO investigators conducted witness interviews and gathered evidence from Nov. 5-Nov. 10.

The department was notified Nov. 10 that the Lubbock County District Attorney’s Office officially recused itself and the case was assigned to a prosecutor from the Texas Attorney General’s Office. 

METRO investigators reviewed all associated information and requested follow-up interviews between Nov. 11-Nov. 15. 

The METRO Unit transferred the case files over to the Attorney General’s office Tuesday, Nov. 16 to allow the office to begin its review process of the case following the recusal of the Lubbock County District Attorney’s office. 

RELATED: Widow releases graphic video of confrontation that preceded fatal Lubbock shooting