x
Breaking News
More () »

FOX West Texas Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Abilene and San Angelo, Texas | myfoxzone.com

Welding operations cause fire in Abilene commercial building

Abilene firefighters responded to a structure fire on Windmill Circle Tuesday morning.
Credit: AP

ABILENE, Texas — An accidental fire at an Abilene commercial building caused an estimated $5,000 in damages.

According to a press release from the Abilene Fire Department, at 10:46 a.m. Tuesday, the department responded to a structure fire in the 100 block of Windmill Circle.

Fire crews found a large commercial structure with light smoke coming from the north side of the building. All employees had self-evacuated from the building before firefighters arrived.

A smoldering fire was discovered in a below-grade conveyor belt track. The fire was quickly brought under control and put out, preventing any structural damage to the building.

An investigation showed the fire was the result of welding operations igniting flammable residue in the conveyor track.