SAN ANGELO, Texas — Angelo State University's cheer team has brought home its second consecutive United Spirit Association national title after competition in Anaheim, Calif.
The 22-member team won the national championship in the "4-Year College Large Co-Ed Show Cheer Division", beating out teams from Idaho State University, New Mexico State University, Ottawa University-Arizona and Wyoming University. The teams competed in preliminary and final rounds to determine the national title winner.
The championships were held Feb. 22-24 and featured teams from dozens of colleges and universities throughout the U.S. competing in a variety of divisions and categories, including show cheer, jazz and hip-hop routines, and mascot challenges.
According to a press release from ASU, because the size divisions are based on the number of males on a co-ed team, Angelo State competed against teams from much larger universities.
ASU Cheer Team members include:
- Bailey Braddock of Quinlan
- Camille Cardwell of Kerrville
- Breonna Dean of Georgetown
- Delaney Dominguez of Crane
- McKeeley DuBose of Paradise
- Erin Dyer of Brownwood
- Crimson Fuentes of Crane
- Aleya Garcia of San Angelo
- Martin Garcia of Del Rio
- Maxwell Garza of Abilene
- Nicholas Griffin of Sherman
- Katelan House of San Angelo
- Alexia “Lexi” Jimenez of Haskell
- Madisen Kent of Abilene
- Jose Lopez of Strawn
- Oscar Narvaez of Mertzon
- Jasmine Perez of Princeton
- Jordan Ramirez of Crane
- Heather Reatherford of Breckenridge
- Brook Roberts of Willow Park
- Jackson “Jack” Robinson of Zephyr
- Haley Yell of San Angelo
Shea-Lynn Hale of Westbrook also competed as ASU's mascot, “Roscoe.” The team is coached by Kaylee King and graduate assistant Sheila Corcino of Del Rio.